Thursday, August 27, 2009

Whero's New Net

I am still reeling from Whero's New Net - a Massive Theatre Company production touring the country at the moment. It's a bitter sweet tale written by Albert Belz in collaboration with the cast and crew of Massive, and integrating stories from The New Net Goes Fishing by Witi Ihimaera. Here's more on Massive and the show that took three years and multiple drafts to create - and view the trailer above.

The dialogue in Whero's New Net crackles and when you're not cracking up, your heart lurches with the fortunes of these tough, vulnerable, gorgeous young people. The haka scene is one of the funniest I've seen on stage, and at the end I had tears down my face, but not from laughing. The play is on at Downstage in Wellington until Saturday, and then at Upper Hutt's Expressions Theatre Sept 4-6, and elsewhere after that. Go and be amazed.

3 comments:

Law and Order said...

Hi Mary,
Oh, my connection is so slow it takes forever to download it. Anyway, thanks for this. I hope I get to see them when they're up this way next week. :)

Unknown said...

I wish somehow that reviews could be written before the shows have opened ... By the time I read about your enthusiasm for WHERO, its brief season in Wellington was over. Often one spends a lot of time being undecided about whether or not to go to a play or movie (or even to read a book). An informed review can often make the difference.

Mary McCallum said...

Yes, Lindsay, I agree. It was only because a friend block-booked and made me go that I went. I was so grateful to her. And a block-booking means the tickets are only $22! So a win-win situation. Whero is still on the road I think - it would certainly be worth tracking it down...