Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Barry and the Muttonbirds

I'm a guest columnist on the Wellington.Scoop website while Lindsay Shelton is away in Spain. The brief was to write about anything in the greater Wellington region, so I wrote about Barry and the muttonbirds. Rather pleased with the piccy [and the article, actually.]

It occurs to me as I write this that my bird-loving blogger friends like Gondal Girl and Paradoxical Cat are going to think me a hypocrite - writing a stack of heartfelt posts about how marvellous birds are and then reporting enthusiastically on chomping through baby shearwaters wrenched from their burrows .... [what can I say?]

On a different note, I recommend Scoop.Wellington for a great way to keep up with what's happening in the capital city - Lindsay does some wonderful sleuthing round them thar streets and there are useful links to all sorts of activities and events.

2 comments:

maggie@at-the-bay.com said...

Our famous local butcher. Steve Braunias frequently refers to Barry's famous bacon chops. A few years ago when my first novel came out and Rona Gallery kindly set up a table in their shop window stacked with my novel and I was sat there like a "prize turkey" (ha)... waiting to sign copies with no-one in the shop but me...(a bit like the book "Mortification" stories of writers and their shame).. and along came Barry in his shorts to buy a copy of my novel (marching girls and book clubs no less). I've loved him ever since.

Gondal-girl said...

munch away Mary...

wasn't New Zealand when the Maori arrived full of strange birds...

As long as you don't eat your totem right?