Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tuesday Poem: Flash Fiction Dead Space


Dead Space

Catch the boy out there standing like a bird with one foot tucked behind a calf looking at the sea. He isn’t at soccer practice. He isn’t on the scout tramp to Chatham Creek. He isn’t playing Dead Space 2 while Bridgie practices her scales. Up and down, up and down. The boy, Jesse, is allergic to scales and allergic to Bridgie who squeaks like a bird when he interrupts her. Dead Space 2. Necromorphs for god’s sake. I need to concentrate
          But she just squeaks and then she squeals and then Mum comes wiping her hands on a tea-towel, and she wants to know where he got the damn game from. Then it’s all over red rover, as his dad says, and he’s outside, like his dad usually is, smoking, except Jesse’s not smoking because he’s run out of smokes.  
           Catch the boy before he leaves. Not the boy leaving. The father leaving. Country Road bag in hand – Bridgie’s bag for sleepovers. He says to the boy, ‘Bye, Jess’, and he says to the boy, ‘Be good for your Mum.’ 
           And his dad puts down the stupid bag, and the look on his face is that sort of look he gets when he comes home and it’s his birthday and Mum’s made a special dinner. Hopeful. Or something. He blinks too much, thinks Jesse, his breath smells like shit. When his dad hugs him, Jesse puts his foot down so he won’t topple. The scales have stopped. Jesse thinks of Necromorphs. He smells sweat and smokes. That’s how Necromorphs would smell, he thinks. And they’d blink too fast. His father used to play the piano. He bought the piano for Jesse to play but Jesse didn’t want to play. He just didn’t. 

Mary McCallum 

Dead Space isn't a poem, not really, but as Flash Fiction, it's a comely blend of poetry and short fiction. Three hundred words only and a lot of fun to write. More fun to discover my story was placed third in the National Flash Fiction Day Competition, June 22. It came in after the winning story by Frankie McMillan In the nick of time, a deer, and Rebecca Styles' second placed story Parade, and was read at a NZ Society of Authors open mic evening in Wellington last night. 

Congratulations to Frankie and Rebecca and all those short and long-listed. Thanks to Tuesday Poet Michelle Elvy for encouraging me to enter with her fabulous flash fiction facebooking. And thanks to the kind donor who has given some money so the winners get a cash prize - how good is that? 

I decided to enter the competition the evening of the deadline, and had a sentence in my head and went from there. As happens with this sort of approach, I didn't know where I was headed or where the Necromorphs came from (they do exist, in a game called Dead Space - but what are they doing here? and they are so right.) The point of view veers back and forth a bit from the boy to the dad. If I'd had time I would have worked at making it more consistent, but in fact I like the inconsistency and uncertainty now, and it works better with paragraphing, which wasn't in the original - becoming more like a play. 


13 comments:

maggie@at-the-bay.com said...

Mary - great to see your story up on your blog - it's terrific - we all enjoyed it on Monday night - congratulations. Love the Necromorphs!

Cattyrox said...

I love flash fiction, Mary - it has a great urgency and the boy's isolation is beautifully realised.

Helen Rickerby said...

Congratulations Mary, and thanks for sharing your story. It's a lovely wee slice that evokes a whole big story.

Mary McCallum said...

Thanks everyone for coming to read Dead Space and taking the time to comment. Really appreciate it. I think Flash is a fantastic hybrid and the experience with this competition has encouraged me to try more!

Mary McCallum said...

Thanks everyone for coming to read Dead Space and taking the time to comment. Really appreciate it. I think Flash is a fantastic hybrid and the experience with this competition has encouraged me to try more!

Mary McCallum said...

Thanks everyone for coming to read Dead Space and taking the time to comment. Really appreciate it. I think Flash is a fantastic hybrid and the experience with this competition has encouraged me to try more!

Ben Hur said...

It certainly packs a lot of story "outside the story", so to speak. Really enjoyed it. Like the little well-observed details like Mum coming to see what is going on and she's wiping her hands on a teatowel.

Helen McKinlay said...

Thanks for letting us read this Mary.
it's got lots of movement hasn't it.
no time to get bored and lots of info packed into one parcel. Very poignant too...the young boy seeming to want his dad but not as his dad seems to be. Congratulations again.
One day I will get brave and try flash fictioning myself.:-)

AJ Ponder said...

Congratulations Mary, what a lovely visual/kinetic piece

Helen Lowe said...

Very cool, Mary!

lillyanne said...

I LOVE it!

Penelope said...

I love things that are hard to classify...such a lovely piece of writing, whatever one calls it.

Congratulations, Mary.

Michelle Elvy said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! So glad to come to this again today. I've already read this many times by now, it strikes me as so utterly original and strong every single time. I like the unpredictable voice and the movement in this piece. And I like that you can't quite categorize it.

I also like knowing your process -- sitting down with one idea and then letting it flow. Reminds me of something Sam Rasnake said in a conversation that continued after we started it at TP a few weeks back:

“I have no real notion of where the poem is headed. I don’t know how it will end. I don’t want to know. I want the closing to be what is needed for the work, and not what I want from the closing.”

I think you'd agree with that, Mary. More of that conversation, and more of Sam's poetry, on my TP post this week!

Flash, poetry, and the spaces in between... all so inspiring!

Congratulations again!